Summer is all about packing the bare essentials, getting in the car and going on a road trip. You need food that nourishes you and doesn't require much maintenance, like refrigeration. Save the cooler space for your perishables...and that 6-pack that always tastes better by a campfire.
We always recommend taking our 1.25oz travel-size packs for the car and on hikes, but we've also found that adding our nuts to your favorite recipe can really boost your flavor experience.
Most recipes recommend rolling the Date Nut Energy Balls in raw coconut, but rolling them in crushed Cherry Vanilla Almonds gives the balls an amazing crunch and holds them together better. Dates have been found to increase energy and reduce night blindness (which is good for night driving and clambering out of the tent to go to the loo in the middle of the night). Dates also contain trace amounts of organic sulfur, which is said to lesson allergic reactions that are often present when among the wildflowers.
Tag us on Instagram (@Olomomo) or Facebook in your adventure photos and enter to win an Adventure Pack, 6 bags of your choice of flavored nuts. Mix and match, go nuts! Winners announced at the end of every month.
Date Nut Energy Balls
- 1/2 pound (1 cup packed) pitted medjool dates
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon your choice of nut butter (almond, peanut, cashew, sunflower seed, etc)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- Place the Cherry Vanilla Almonds in the food processor and process until finely chopped. Empty chopped almonds onto a piece of parchment or wax paper and set off to the side.
- Place all remaining ingredients into a food processor and process until mixture is evenly mixed. The mixture will be slightly crumbly.
- Using hands or spoons, form the dough into large bite-size pieces. Roll the pieces between your hands and smooth into round balls.
- Place the formed ball on the pile of chopped almonds and roll evenly to make sure the ball is completely covered in ground almonds. This will help ensure the balls do not stick together when stored.
- Repeat until all of the mixture is gone. Store balls in airtight container. They do not require refrigeration.