It’s no secret now that most nuts are a wonderful source of healthy fats and nutrients if eaten in moderation.
I designed Olomomo as a way to fit a very active and busy lifestyle, provide a healthy snack, and not sacrifice on flavor. Here are five easy ways that I've integrated nuts into my lifestyle to stay fueled, satisfied, increase metabolism, and enjoy life.
1. Enhance a meal: I almost always eat a solid breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The standard portions of main meals should all fit onto a 9 inch plate. I eat a lot of greens - either raw or sautéed - and often throw Olomomo nuts into the greens for added flavor dimension, protein, and healthy fat. The USDA defines a serving of nuts as about 1 oz. That’s about a handful, 1/4 cup or 23 almonds, 16 cashews, or 18 pecans.
2. Graze throughout the day: In addition to eating breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up, I also have a mid-morning snack, a mid-afternoon snack, and one after-dinner. So I end up eating about every three hours. If I’m trying to lose a few pounds, I often use Applewood Smoked Cashews or Vinegar Sea Salt Almonds in moderation for one or more of these snacks. Last year, I lost 10 pounds in about 1 month by roughly following this strategy I learned from Dr. Wayne Anderson’s book, "Dr. A’s Habits of Health."
3. Be like a squirrel: I stash nuts everywhere: in my ski jacket, my top drawer at work, in my car, in my laptop bag, my gym bag, my rucksack, and in my mountain biking jersey when I hit the trails. The 1.25 oz grab-and-go bags we're launching are a great single serving. I usually only need about half a bag at a time unless I’ve been working out really hard, or skipping meals for travel, or during a busy work day. Per Dr. Anderson’s approach, it’s important to keep your blood sugar stable and flatten out the huge insulin spikes that follow large meals. For that reason, it’s recommended to eat every three hours, alternating between modest meals and snacks. The Olomomo nuts have saved me from many a crash, both in trying these programs and when traveling or exercising.
4. Boost creativity & focus: Although I recently kicked coffee, despite a love affair with the ritual, one of my favorite experiences is a cup of coffee in the morning with the Vanilla Chai Almonds, or a latte in the afternoon OZO Coffee with Cinnamon Cayenne Almonds. The proteins from the nuts help offset some of the energy spike from caffeine, and although I can’t prove this scientifically, I always found the combo with coffee to give me an extended boost of creativity and focus.
5. Treat yourself, you deserve it: One of my favorite treats is to kick back and watch a movie with my wife and binge on a bag of Mango Chipotle Almonds, sipping a Left Hand Brewery Milk Stout, O’Dell’s IPA, Stranahan’s Whiskey, or Breckenridge Bourbon. The Maple Garam Masala Pecans are also a pleasure with a glass of red wine. The Applewood Smoked Cashews go well with just about any beverage, and all of the nuts are a hit for bringing to a cocktail party.
We recently saw a post on Instagram from @Rockymtnfit and learned that the Vinegar & Sea Salt Almonds are approved in the Whole30 diet and a great “emergency desk supply” when cravings hit. The beauty of nuts - one of nature’s best inventions - is that you don’t need to eat a lot of them to feel satisfied.
So yeah… Be nutty!
Order some Olomomos today and stock up your nut stash!!